Are you ready to take a trip back in time to the vibrant and colorful era of the 1980s? Whether you're attending a themed party, participating in a cosplay event, or simply looking to add some retro flair to your wardrobe, 1980s costumes are the perfect choice. In this essential guide, we'll explore the iconic fashion trends of the 80s and provide you with tips on how to create an authentic and eye-catching 1980s costume.
What were the key fashion trends of the 1980s?
The 1980s were known for their bold and daring fashion choices. From neon colors to oversized silhouettes, this decade was all about making a statement. Some of the key fashion trends of the 80s include:
- Shoulder pads: Power dressing was all the rage in the 80s, and shoulder pads were a must-have accessory. They added structure and definition to blazers, dresses, and even t-shirts.
- Neon colors: The 80s were all about bright and vibrant colors. Neon hues like hot pink, electric blue, and fluorescent green were popular choices for clothing and accessories.
- Leg warmers: Inspired by the fitness craze of the 80s, leg warmers became a fashion staple. They were often worn over leggings or tights and added a touch of athleticism to any outfit.
- Denim everything: Denim was everywhere in the 80s. From acid wash jeans to denim jackets, this versatile fabric was a go-to choice for both casual and dressy looks.
How to create an authentic 1980s costume?
Now that you're familiar with the key fashion trends of the 80s, it's time to put together your own authentic 1980s costume. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Start with the basics: Choose a key piece of clothing that represents the 80s fashion, such as a brightly colored blazer, a denim jacket, or a sequined dress.
- Add some accessories: Accessorize your outfit with statement pieces like oversized earrings, chunky bracelets, and colorful scrunchies. Don't forget to layer on the neon!
- Get your hair and makeup right: Big hair was a hallmark of 80s fashion. Tease your hair to create volume and use hairspray to keep it in place. For makeup, go for bold and vibrant colors, such as blue eyeshadow and bright pink lipstick.
- Complete the look with footwear: Finish off your 1980s costume with the right pair of shoes. Opt for high-top sneakers, jelly shoes, or stiletto heels to add an authentic touch.
Remember, the key to creating an authentic 1980s costume is to have fun and embrace the bold and daring fashion choices of the era. Don't be afraid to mix and match different trends and experiment with your style. With the right outfit and accessories, you'll be ready to rock the 80s!